Other Important Monasteries
SKIATHOS Other important Monasteries. Religious monuments on the island
Agios Ioannis Monastery
The monastery of Agios Ioannis Pashalatos or Kryfo is on the other side of the ôKounistraö mountain and it was built in 1726. The name ôKryfoö comes from the ôKryfo Scholioö (secret school) that operated in the monastery during Turkocracy, where educated monks taught.
Agios Haralambos Monastery
This is to the north of the Town and at 5 km from the centre. An uphill path from the monastery of Evangelistria leads us to the Monastery of Agios Haralambos on the mountain Kouroupi.
The year of foundation and construction is unknown. It was restored in 1804 but collapsed in 1834.
The temple icons are dated back to 1823. It is a single-aisle Basilica with a dome. No murals are saved to date except the one of Almighty on the dome. This is where the Skiathan scholar Alexandros Moraitidis spent the last period of his life.
Monastery of Agios Ioannis Parthenis
This is a little further from the Monastery of ôKounistraö, north of the foothills of mountain Kounistres. It is post-Byzantine and it was founded in the 17th century by Skiathan Parthenios.
The main church is a single-aisle Basilica with a ridge roof, and it was renovated in 1714. It has remarkable icons, with the image of Christ prominent on the temple. This is where the first school operated on Skiathos during Turkocracy.
The building where the students lived, the so-called ôdaskaleioö is today in ruins. In 1865 the Skiathan scholar Alexandros Moraitidis renovated one part of the cells.
Monastery of Panagia Kechria
This is above the Kechrias bay, on the north-west side of the island, built on a rise and 8 km from the town. Founded in the 18th century. Although it is a secluded monastery, it is worth visiting to see the important ecclesiastical heirlooms.
Monastery of Koimisi Theotokou
This is west of mountain Karaflytzanakia and close to Kechria, and it is about 8 km from the town. Built in 1540, it is a post-Byzantine Monastery of Mount Athos style with a cross-style three-niche main church.
It was renovated in 1738 but collapsed at the beginning of the 19th century.
Murals from 1745 are still preserved, and also the wood-carved temple with 18th century icons and two cells. There is a spring dated back to 1727.